Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Why I Want To Homeschool

I was watching the news the other night, this story came on. A young boy is minding his own business when two boys make a plan to attack him. The young boy defends himself to the other two boys when the mother of one of the other two boys gets on the school bus and starts yelling at the boy who was being attacked.





There are so many bullying situations and a lot of violence in schools today. There was Columbine, which was a huge deal. I was living in Virginia when the Virginia Tech incident happened. There are bullies, fights, and murders happening within our schools today. Nowhere is safe. I know I can't protect my kids forever, but I want to protect them for as long as I can.

Aside from the violence that is happening in our schools today, I remember not getting the one on one help I needed growing up in school when I was struggling. I blame the school systems for me still struggling in math. I think had I gotten the help I needed, I would have gotten to understand math much better than I do.

For all of these reasons, I would like to home school. There are many great benefits of homeschooling. My kids will get the one-on-one attention they will need educationally. I will have the ability to cater the curriculum  to their needs. By homeschooling my kids, there will be less opportunity for peer pressure. I will also be able to decide what my kids are exposed to and when. I don't want my kids learning about sex in a public school. That is a parent's job, not a teacher's. There are a ton of homeschooling enrichment activities that I can do with my kids and involve my kids in. Schedules would be more flexible with homeschooling. I can also form a curriculum that compliments our faith, morals, and values.

Now, I do not plan on keeping my kids sheltered away from the world. I plan on having them in activities such as a self defense class, sports, or whatever else they may have an interest in. So, they will still get social skills. I will also find enrichment activities going on with other homeschooling parents in the area. I think homeschooling will be fun and beneficial for all of us. This is something DB and I agreed upon at least 6 months ago. However, when I see stuff like this on the news; it really makes me realize how glad I am that I will be homeschooling my kids.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love home schooling my daughter, and wouldn't change it for nothing! Just make sure when the time comes you check with your states home schooling laws, and do it all by the book.

Nicole said...

Where would I find those out?

Stephanie said...

http://www.youcanhomeschool.org/starthere/questions.asp

http://www.time4learning.com/homeschool/homeschooling_in_ohio.shtml

Hope these links help you!

Post a Comment

In an effort to maintain a spam free blog, all comments must be approved before they will become visible.

-Nikki Layne