Monday, May 16, 2011

Pro Life or Pro Choice

This whole billboard situation that I posted about last night really made me curious to know where people stand on the topic of abortion. I know it is a very sensitive topic. I don't know what I am. I'd like to say I am more pro life because there are options like adoption. My mom kept me even though her relationship with my father was spiraling downhill very quickly. She gave me a chance at life. When she knew I would be better off with my grandparents, she allowed them to take me and raise me.

However, when it comes to situations such as rape, I can understand why people would get an abortion. I can understand not wanting to carry and deliver a child from some a traumatic experience. Still in saying that, I do believe everyone deserves a chance at life. So, I guess I'm more pro life, but I can try to understand the pro choice side of things when it comes to rape.

I do not in any way condone the use of abortion as birth control. When I lived in Alaska, I knew a girl who used abortion as birth control. In the year I talked to her, she had gotten three abortions. They make actual birth control for a reason! I also do not agree with the ability to get an abortion so late in your pregnancy now.

I believe that a child is a blessing, not a choice. The choice was made when you willingly participated in adult activities. However, adoption is always an option. When I got pregnant with Lil' Bean, it was not by DB. DB and I had separated and I got pregnant by someone else. We will refer to that someone else as CSD (cheap sperm donor haha). Well, CSD did not react well when I told him I was pregnant. Before I had found out I was pregnant I had plans on leaving him. So, naturally I found out I was pregnant. I knew I was pregnant. I skipped over the pregnancy test and went right to the doctor only to find out that I was 6 weeks pregnant. I just knew. I had that feeling. After I told him we kind of stopped talking and I just moved out. Then I started getting monetary offers. He wanted to pay me off. He also tried forcing me into an abortion. I flat out refused and told him not to worry because his name would not be associated with the baby. He didn't want to pay child support. I was even harassed by members of his family. His family and his chain of command (he was/is in the army) were helping him to evade his responsibility. I let it go. I saw it as a bad situation to involve a child in. So, I walked away from it all and made the decision that I would be a single mom of two. Two months later that changed when I got back together with DB. I was stupid for ever leaving him in the first place. DB decided he would take on the baby as his own. He said every baby deserves a dad and he wanted to be daddy to both of my children. Sweet Pea is his biologically and Lil' Bean is his in every other way. My pregnancy was very difficult. There were times I didn't know what to think. I had no attachment to my Lil' Bean basically until he was born. Now I can't imagine my life without him. I regret my relationship with CSD, but I do not regret Lil' Bean. I know when Lil' Bean grows up he might have questions and I will deal with them when the time comes.

I know that there are people who are pro choice and I believe everyone has a right to their own opinion. My opinion is my opinion and their opinion is theirs. This is America and we have the beauty of freedom of speech. Like I said, I can understand pro choice on some levels. So, I'm not all gung ho about being pro life. It's just what I believe for myself. I am just not one to push my beliefs on someone else. However, people and their opinions and reasonings do interest me. So, are you pro life or pro choice?

No comments:

Post a Comment

In an effort to maintain a spam free blog, all comments must be approved before they will become visible.

-Nikki Layne